Reiki, meaning ‘universal life energy’, was founded in Japan by Dr Mikao Usui in the late 19th century. It works on the principle that energy, also known as ‘ki’ or ‘chi’, flows through our body via energy vortices or centres, also called chakras. A balanced flow of energy provides a sense of well-being and spiritual renewal.
Professional Reiki Practitioners, like myself, draw upon universal healing energy which is then transferred to the client through connection with this energy or chi and by gently placing their hands on or just above your body.
Reiki is taught by Reiki masters/teachers who have trained in the tradition and passed it on, in person, from master to student. Students go through a process of initiation or ‘attunement’ to the Reiki energy. They are then able to treat themselves and others, not only from a personal and emotional perspective, but also as an aid to individual development and spiritual growth. As the Reiki Master and Practitioner with Flourish, I also offer Reiki Training Courses.
What to expect during a Reiki treatment
Reiki is a non-invasive therapy where you remain fully clothed and all that is required is that you take off your shoes and relax on a reclining chair or treatment couch. I use energy flow from my hands to rebalance each of your energy centres by either placing my hands on or above your body, using the energy to intuitively guide the flow. Your whole body may be treated or just specific parts, depending on where imbalances are thought to lie. Reiki may also be used remotely (distance) with your consent.
Reiki creates a safe, sacred place where you are supported throughout the treatment. As a non invasive therapy that can also be a ‘hands off’ treatment, it is also suitable for clients who have survived abuse and psychological and emotional trauma.
Benefits of Reiki
Reiki is often described as a very relaxing and peaceful treatment, which helps to restore a sense of balance and well-being within our mind and body.
Due to the very gentle nature of this treatment, it is often used to support those receiving conventional medical care in hospitals, hospices or at home.
Regular Reiki sessions can help manage conditions such as:
- Stress, Anxiety, Panic attacks
- Grief and Loss
- Migraines, Tension headaches
- Women’s Health including fertility, Endometriosis, PCOS, PMS and menopausal symptoms
- Preparation for pregnancy and labour; Post natal care
- Epilepsy – I have completed Epilepsy Awareness and HeartStart training, and am the only Horticultural & Holistic Therapist in Glasgow to be certificated
- Low or high blood pressure
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME
- Digestive and elimination problems including constipation, IBS, food allergies, flatulence
- Chronic pain, including muscle tension, back, shoulder and neck pain; leg, knee and foot pain
- Circulatory problems
- Sleeping disorders
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Skin disorders including psoriasis, eczema and acne rosacea
- Breathing disorders including asthma, chest infections, cough infections, coughs and colds; ear, nose and throat problems
- Life limiting illness including Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, Motor Neuron Disease
How do I book an appointment for a Reiki treatment?
Appointments can be booked online using the Flourish booking system here.
©Andrea Doran, Flourish, August 2016